Summerlin is an award-winning master-planned community near Las Vegas, Nevada's western edge. It was founded in 1990 and is currently home to approximately 100,000 residents. The district spans 22,500 acres and offers various residential options, including single-family homes, townhomes, condominiums, and apartments. The area has numerous parks, shopping centers, and restaurants.
The land that now makes up Summerlin was once home to the Paiute tribe for over 1,000 years. The tribe depended on the desert's natural resources for sustenance and shelter. However, in the 1850s, Mormon settlers established a fort in the area.
In the early 1950s, wealthy businessman Howard Hughes acquired 25,000 acres of land that constituted Summerlin. Nevertheless, it was not until 1988 that Summerlin's development began. The Howard Hughes Corporation was responsible for the community's planning and development.
Summerlin was designed as a master-planned community, with careful attention given to every detail, from the landscaping to the architectural style. The community features various village centers, which offer residents a range of amenities, such as retail stores, restaurants, and parks.
Since its inception, Summerlin has experienced significant growth, with many families and businesses relocating to the area. The community has expanded to incorporate more parks, schools, golf courses, and retail centers while keeping its promise to maintain sustainable development and environmental conservation.
Summerlin is recognized as one of the top master-planned communities in the country. Over the years, it has received numerous awards, including the 2014 Developer of the Year award by the Las Vegas Review-Journal and the 2020 Top-Selling Master-Planned Community by RCLCO Real Estate Advisors.
The following are some of the top attractions in Summerlin:
- Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. This national conservation area is a majestic landmark with a splendid view of the Mojave Desert. It has several hiking trails, biking areas, and scenic drives. The area is perfect for those who enjoy outdoor activities and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains.
- Summerlin Parks and Trails. Summerlin is home to several parks and hiking trails that offer stunning natural beauty and excitement for visitors of all ages. Many parks also feature sports fields, picnic areas, and playgrounds for children. Some popular parks include Paseos Park, Mesa Park, and The Vistas Park.
- Downtown Summerlin. Downtown Summerlin is a popular destination for shopping and dining. It is a retail center with various stores, such as Macy's, Nordstrom, and Apple, along with several restaurants and cafes. It's a perfect spot for shopping and dining with family and friends.
- TPC Summerlin Golf Course. The TPC Summerlin Golf Course is a famous golf destination for golfers worldwide. It is a beautiful golf course in the heart of Summerlin, featuring 18 holes that offer stunning views of the nearby mountains. The course has hosted many professional golf tournaments, including the PGA tour's Shriners Hospitals for Children Open.
- Bruce Trent Park. Bruce Trent Park is a popular park located in the heart of Summerlin. It is a community-focused park that offers plenty of outdoor activities for families. It features basketball courts, volleyball courts, and walking and jogging paths. There is also a splash pad for children and picnic areas for families to enjoy.